THORNTON in CRAVEN  ~ The original Parish boundary included Earby, Kelbrook & Harden (formerly in the County of Yorkshire)


Bookmark Establishment and Location
 Church of England
 THO.CE.01 St.Mary, Church Road, Thornton
 Return to map    
For the history of Thornton in Craven see -

Town / Index no :  Thornton - THO.CE.01
Map references :  OS SD 902484
Name :  St.Mary the Virgin .. now part of combined Parish of Broughton, Marton & Thornton
Denomination :  Church of England
Address :  Church Road, Thornton-in-Craven, North Yorks (parish formerly in the West Riding of Yorkshire) Deanery of Craven
Parish Registers at Lancashire Archives, listed in LANCAT online catalogue
Parish Registers in North Yorks County Record Office at Northallerton
  C 1566-1651, M 1566-1644, B 1566-1651,
  C 1683-1913, M 1683-1942, B 1683-1903,
Local Sources for Copies of Parish Registers
  Registers are being transcribed by Pendle Branch of LFH&HS & Rolls-Royce FHS
  1735-1841 on IGI for Yorkshire (Phillimore Index)
  Medium size, grass kept short by grazing sheep .. no paths and steep in parts
  Memorial wall by the church for Cremations
Memorial Inscriptions
  Transcribed in ? - 262 headstones
Local Copies of Memorial Inscriptions
  Barnoldswick Library; Colne Library
Brief History
  1280 Church built . . .
  1851 Religious Census = Thornton Church built before 1800
  note The original Parish Boundary included Earby, Kelbrook & Harden
Top of page    

LFHHS Pendle & Burnley Branch 2002